Lewd, vulgar and hilarious. This is one of the best comics that I think has ever come out of Canada. Published in 1973, All Canadian Beaver Comix is the product of Canadian underground comix geniuses Brent Boates, Rand Holmes and Falcioni. The comic book is a collection of their work that was originally published by the controversially left newspaper the Georgia Straight, in Vancouver, BC and was distributed in both the US and Canada. The paper is also the publisher of this comic as well as comics by other artists and more of Holmes’ work.
Along with its already bawdy nature, one of the more notable comics in the book is Holmes’ humourous criticism of the controversial excerpts on homosexuality from the book Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Too Afraid to Ask). The progressive comic aggressively uses both comedy and satire to break down barriers about sexuality while also just being very comfortable with the topic.
The contents are:
- Hold Hard (Inside Cover intro) features character Emmanual Cunt by Falcioni
- Vito Yaruntski in The Fatal Orgasm by Brent Boates
- “Now How Did That Grab Ya” filler by Falcioni
- Harold Hedd’s Bike Song* *As sung to the tune of the…”Alice’s Restaurant Massacree” by Rand Holmes
- Introducing Quantum Quackster in “Quantum Pulls a Fast One!” by Falcioni
- The Origins of Beaverman by Brent Boates
- The Continuing Adventures of Harold Hedd by Rand Holmes
- Kuolu Kala by Tapani Knuutila
- Buckets of Saliva by Brent Boates
- Beaver Comix add (Back cover).
Sadly the comic only lasted one issue, perhaps as just a stand alone collection. For further reading of Holmes’ work see the book The Artist Himself: A Rand Holmes Retrospective which includes both biographical information and some reprinted comics.